Monday, August 16, 2010

It Ain't Easy Being Me...

Here are some of the things I've learned over the last six-odd years in my capacity as a low-level blogger.

1: The Rule. If I voted for Ralph Nader in 2000, and the victory went to the Republican candidate because five Supreme Court justices said it did in a highly controversial (if not unconstitutional) ruling, then I Threw My Vote Away.

2: The Exception. If in any later year, you stayed home on election day because you thought the Democrat was a joke or a sell-out, and the victory went to the Republican thanks more to low voter turnout than anything else, then You Stuck By Your Principles.

3. Heads You Win. If, with the 2000 election debacle in mind, I try to explain why voting for the Democrat that has a shot at winning any given race is better than voting for the third-party candidate who doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning to you who intend to vote for the third-party candidate, then you will tell me that I'm Part Of The Problem.

4. Tails I Lose. If I attempt to meet you halfway and suggest we try working together after the election on behalf of third-party candidates, since it's too late to do anything about it now but maybe down the road we'll have something to work with, then you will tell me you've tried that before, and it just doesn't work -- in other words, There Is No Solution.

5. "What Window Of Opportunity?" If I say that Congress should pass a deeply flawed health care bill now, and worry about fixing the flaws later, while there's still plenty of time, my detractors will, after chastising me to their own satisfaction, tell me they would rather see No Bill At All.

6. "Oh, That One." If my detractors realize later on that if no health care reform bill is passed this time around, there may not be another one in the works for a generation or more, they will demand that their congressional creatures Pass The Damn Bill.

7. Damned If I Do. If, over the course of several years, I write a couple thousand blog posts slamming the Right for its hypocrisy, its ignorance, its ineptitude, its lack of vision, its lack of spirit, its lack of heart, and its overall repellant nature, then I will be told that I'm Wasting My Time.

8. Damned If I Don't. If I write one post -- one post -- saying that lots of people who call themselves progressives are really just left-wing ideologues and idealists, which is not the same thing as being a progressive, I'll be informed by members of the hurt-by-the-truth cadre that The Right, Not The Left, Is My Appropriate Target.

And people wonder why I'm so tense and irritable.

Well, when you're a liberal who used to be a conservative, but you still get along better with conservatives than you do fellow liberals, what other result is to be expected? I'm really beginning to hate some of the people I agree with the most. And I think it's because I became a liberal, whereas most of the liberals I know have always been liberal. If we were all financially wealthy, I reckon I'd be New Rich and they'd be Old Rich.

And the Old Rich always looks down on the New Rich -- as if having it made from the start is something to be proud of, while being poor from the start but somehow managing to getting it right through your own efforts later on is, through some bullshit pretzel logic, to be despised.

I don't know what else to make of that. It is unusual for people to migrate from the right to left, as I have -- a process that is never enjoyable. But I have noticed one thing about those of us that have done so: nearly all of us are pretty much marginalized. The exception may be David Brock of Media Matters, and I would attribute that to his former status as a right-wing hit-man who sailed to the left shore in a boat he paid for in his former capacity. The rest of us came here through far more modest means, and we were damaged beyond repair in any number of ways before we made it to the shore...

3 comments:

  1. J. Take a deep breath, and exhale.... things don't have to be that complicated. I have found that as long as your feet hit the floor when you wake up, it's a good day. Don't sweat all that "stuff" that gets you so irritated. Just look past all that garbage and move on!! M. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think you just like to bitch and be pissy. It's just the way you are. Not that it matters to me, Jimsy. I'll always love you no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JIMSY !?!? That's a good one!! M. :-)

    ReplyDelete

This is a First Amendment zone, but I do use word verification now. If you don't like that, well, this is also a Fifth Amendment zone. Take your pick...