Saturday, September 25, 2010

And Now, A New TV Show I Actually Like...

I've just finished watching the pilot episode of Outlaw, starring Jimmy Smits, on the MacBook. Part of the reason was, I like the way Smits acts, and I couldn't recall hearing anything new about him for quite some time. But mostly, I decided to watch it because they've advertised the hell out of this new show over at the Great Orange Satan twice this month, and I wanted to know what the big deal was. Markos has never done anything like that for a TV show before that I know of, and I've been sampling from his site for six years. Having seen the first episode, well...

My favorite kind of cake is chocolate, and my favorite ice cream flavor is butter pecan. Outlaw, to me, is a thick slab of chocolate cake served with three scoops of butter pecan ice cream. Nom nom nom nom!

I know it's just a TV show, designed for entertainment purposes only, but how can a guy who describes himself as a libertarian liberal, like me, not love this show? A conservative Supreme Court Justice quits the High Court, goes back into private practice, and takes on a seemingly impossible case that runs counter to everything he's ever stood for: representing an inmate convicted of murder near the very end of his Death Row run that he suspects is innocent when virtually all of the rest of the country thinks he's guilty. If you haven't seen this episode, I won't spoil it for you. But I do have to say that part of the outcome of the re-trial really surprised me. Did not see that coming, no sir.

I don't know what right-wingers have had to say about Outlaw. But my guess is, they probably don't care for it. And that's fine. They have their 24 reruns they can turn to whenever they want. When it comes to living in the past, right-wingers are without peer...


2 comments:

  1. Funny you should post this, Jim (perfect timing). I watched the second episode of Outlaw last night; I saw the first one, too. Great show! I like it for the same reasons I liked Boston Legal; the producers take the hot-button issue of the moment and treat it with intelligence and compassion. People who lack those qualities (and I imagine a majority of them are Republican) can't abide shows like these because they go against the grain of everything greedhead bigots believe in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never saw any of Boston Legal. In fact, the only time I watch any television is when some blog I still read links to a video clip of whatever, and I'm interested enough to click on it. And the bulk of those are segments from The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Bill Maher, and Rachel Maddow. Most of the rest are music clips at BadTux's blog. So this is quite a departure for me...

    ReplyDelete

This is a First Amendment zone, but I do use word verification now. If you don't like that, well, this is also a Fifth Amendment zone. Take your pick...