Saturday, September 25, 2010

Blow Me Or Rim Me, Take Your Pick...

Last month, I wrote this post about this guy I met over at Fur Affinity. He's an alcoholic and a drug addict, and at the time, I feared he was one of those poor souls who was just plain destined to die young.

Now, I'm thinking I may have been wrong -- and boy, am I hoping that I am. He recently posted an FA journal entry that suggested he was doing a lot better now. In it, he mentioned dealing with depression, a subject I am all too familiar with. And that prompted me to leave this comment:

I don't get depressed anymore. I just get older. And having recently turned 40, I've noticed something about the aging process that I think is kick-ass: the older I get, the less of a shit I give.

I am actually looking forward to being an old man one day now. It certainly won't be easy, but it just might be more fun than I ever imagined it would be.

Having said all that, I hope you're trying to take better care of yourself in earnest now. Because one day, you're gonna be 40 as well. And life becomes a whole new ball game at that point, believe me...

I'm not kidding, depression doesn't work on me anymore. I may get boiling mad as hell or disturbingly hateful in reaction to something that strikes me as incurably and willfully stupid now and then, but not depressed. And that's because with every new day, I give just a little bit less of a shit about things. You can't get depressed if you don't give a shit, it seems.

Works for me.

Can't wait to see how this manifests itself on election day...

1 comment:

  1. I remember telling JT that he was one of the men who would get better looking as he got older. He thought that was awful when he was 35, but when he was 60 and guys kept thinking he was 40, he decided it was really ok. :)

    ReplyDelete

This is a First Amendment zone, but I do use word verification now. If you don't like that, well, this is also a Fifth Amendment zone. Take your pick...