Monday, September 20, 2010

I Need A Drink...

Digby somehow manages to remind me of why I think of myself as a liberal who is getting really fed up with other liberals:


There's a lot of back and forth today about Obama's remark the other day at a big money fundraiser criticizing "Democrats" for failing to properly appreciate his accomplishments. Here's what he said:

Democrats, just congenitally, tend to get -- to see the glass as half empty. (Laughter.) If we get an historic health care bill passed -- oh, well, the public option wasn't there. If you get the financial reform bill passed -- then, well, I don't know about this particular derivatives rule, I'm not sure that I'm satisfied with that. And gosh, we haven't yet brought about world peace and -- (laughter.) I thought that was going to happen quicker. (Laughter.) You know who you are. (Laughter.) We have had the most productive, progressive legislative session in at least a generation.



Well, I think at least one thing is clear. Robert Gibbs wasn't freelancing with his similar comments.

Regardless of whether you agree with Obama's characterization there, I think most people would agree that it's an odd way to fire up the troops. There seems to be some misapprehension on the part of the DC Dems that trying to browbeat people into appreciating you is smart politics. I'm thinking maybe a little ass kissing at this point might be a little bit more effective.


"A little ass kissing"? Obama's supposed to atone for his alleged sins against us the way Republicans who cross Rush Limbaugh atone for their critiques of him? Really?

Is that the part about the "progressives'" disaffection with Obama that I've been failing to comprehend all this time? Somebody please tell me that I'm reading this wrong, because I'm having a hard time convincing myself that I am. This would explain a lot.

Seriously. I have absolutely no idea what else is left to say here. Aside from wondering, okay, whatever -- if Obama doesn't kiss their asses, what are they going to do about it?

Frankly, I don't want to know the answer, though I'm afraid I already might...

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a First Amendment zone, but I do use word verification now. If you don't like that, well, this is also a Fifth Amendment zone. Take your pick...