Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Weird Hours...

I've probably worked every conceivable shift there is at some point by now. But what I'm doing these days is pretty unusual. I'm still working Monday through Friday in the pre-press department, but now I generally start around 10:45 AM and head home around 7:30 or 8 PM.

Do you know anyone else who does that?

The funny thing is, those hours are pretty damn good. If it was totally up to me, I'd work a second-shift schedule -- 2-10, or 3-11. I did that during most of the 90s, and those hours suited me perfectly. But it turns out I have a lot of flexibility I didn't think I had in the kind of work I'm doing now. Pre-press is our graphics department, responsible for the imaging, digital proofs, and plate-making aspects of the company. I have nothing at all to do with getting the images right -- hell, you have to go to college for that -- but I do carve up a good share of the proofs the operators go by, and I burn a hundred times more plates per week than everyone else at the print shop combined. The rest of the department are the graphics people; I'm pretty much just their manual laborer.

And yet I've found that if I can maintain a pace that is two or three days ahead of the pressroom's schedule, I can pretty much decide how I want to put in my forty hours-plus per week. The only reason I don't come in at 2 PM instead of 10:45 Am is, the scheduling process at that print shop is ridiculously fluid and unpredictable -- if I come in too late, then someone else in pre-press will have to address whatever odd situation comes up in the morning, and there are plenty of those. I don't want that -- we're all working harder than we were a couple years ago, from the CEO on down, thanks to the recession, and while I'm enjoying this new-found flexibility, I don't dare abuse the privilege. And anyway, this is a trial period. If it doesn't work out, I'll go back to coming in between 8 and 9.

But Jesus, I do hope it does work out...

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a First Amendment zone, but I do use word verification now. If you don't like that, well, this is also a Fifth Amendment zone. Take your pick...