Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Even Better Than The First One...

I just watched the second episode of Outlaw. And the jury has reached a verdict: I'm guilty of getting hooked on this show.

First five minutes: a story about an Arizona cop who, working under that law that passed in Arizona in the real world not all that long ago (you all know which one), ends up shooting a Latino man two miles from the U.S.-Mexican border, and the incident gets national attention -- along with national outrage from civil rights groups screaming racism, racial profiling, and just-about bloody murder (the Latino man survived). Cyrus Garza, the ex-Supreme Court Justice who cleared the name of an innocent African-American man on Death Row in the pilot episode of Outlaw, decides to get involved in this case -- representing the Arizona cop.

"Fuck me running," I muttered to myself, "this I gotta see." I did not expect to see this turn of events at all.

However, this might explain something I didn't see over at the Daily Kos after coming home from work on Friday night: the heavy promotion of Outlaw I'd seen on that site the two previous Friday nights. As it turned out, the Arizona cop was found not guilty, and the evidence of his innocence was pretty clear, although how Garza produced some of that evidence goes a long way in explaining why the show has the name that it has. But the underlying point behind his tactics and the show itself is one of the ideals that we as Americans are supposed to hold dear, but all too often do not: every man is innocent until proven guilty. And that ideal applies to everyone -- not just the people who are targeted by unjust laws, but also the people who have no choice but to uphold them when these awkward situations arise.

Maybe I'm going way out on a limb here, but is there a possibility that Markos Moulitsas didn't take away the same kernel of truth that I did here? Is it possible that he let his political opinions on this episode's subject matter -- opinions almost totally identical to my own -- get in the way of the primary point that everyone is innocent until proven guilty? If I'm wrong, then why was there no heavy promotion of Outlaw on his site this past Friday? Is it really all about politics when all's said and done, and nothing more?

Because if that's the case, then we're all just pissing in the wind. This isn't the fall of Rome we're reenacting anymore. We're reenacting the fall of Easter Island now...

3 comments:

  1. I love Easter Island in the fall. For one thing, you don't have all those messy leaves to contend with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you're precious all right. Good moniker.

    So, what do you think of Outlaw?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What, you're just noticing that Kommodore Kos is a political hack nowdays? He has been assimilated by the Borg.

    ReplyDelete

This is a First Amendment zone, but I do use word verification now. If you don't like that, well, this is also a Fifth Amendment zone. Take your pick...