Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Next Day...

Boy, last night was a lot of fun, wasn't it?

Anyway, I went to bed around the time the Republican gains in the House hit fifty. That was overkill, at least to me. It was not a good day for Democrats, to put it mildly.

Speaking of Democrats... I am one now. A newly minted one as of last night, as I watched the election news get worse and worse. I'd been calling myself an Independent voter since I was 18. But yesterday's election was the seventh in a row in which I've voted Democratic, and I know I'll be voting Democratic in future elections.

Granted, I have some serious problems with the way Democratic politicians have been doing things, especially over the last two years. And the rift between myself and self-styled progressive voters, whom I see more as ideologues than anything else, isn't getting any smaller -- and that rift is minor compared to the one between them and the Dem politicians. However, the Dem politicians, the progressives, and I all agree that we should campaign and govern on principles and policies that are not only open to anyone who wants to embrace them, but apply just as fairly to those who do not want to embrace them. We do hold positions on certain issues that whole, large blocs of Americans find questionable, if not objectionable or even obscene -- health care reform, making gay marriage legal across the nation, a woman's right to have an abortion, and ending capital punishment, just to cite four examples.

But the driving force behind positions like these is a desire to make America a place that is more just and worth living in for everybody, not just the people who would directly benefit from these sorts of changes -- to build, in other words, a more perfect union. Or, as I like to put it: progress, not regress. I don't know how many times I've heard someone say there's no difference between Republicans and Democrats. Well, the difference is, we want to build a more perfect union, and the GOP doesn't -- our approach is inclusive, theirs is exclusive, and you can take your own good, hard look throughout American history and decide which approach is the better one for yourself. I've done that, made my own decision, and have more than enough confidence in it that I feel no need to proselytize. The record speaks for itself. I'm a Democrat.

Progress, not regress.

Sure, my side lost pretty badly yesterday. Wasn't the first time.

Tomorrow's a new day...

1 comment:

This is a First Amendment zone, but I do use word verification now. If you don't like that, well, this is also a Fifth Amendment zone. Take your pick...