Friday, December 24, 2010

Just A Thought...

Earlier this week, President Obama signed the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell. Personally, I was very pleased. I'd been in a funk when it came to politics for the last couple of weeks, so this was a welcome change for the better.

But unlike a lot of other gay people, I don't view this as a landmark in my people's struggle for equal rights. As such, I haven't been in much of a mood to have or go to a party over it. What I view the DADT repeal as, is enough of the people who used to be opposed to its repeal coming to their senses to make its repeal happen. This isn't progress for gay rights, this is progress for those who used to oppose us.

If there must be a party, then let's throw it for those who had a change of heart and acted on it. We've been waiting for them to see us for who and what we are, rather than how our implacable enemies always portray us, for a very long time. And they have finally begun to see us for who and what we are.

Hell, I think it's the least we can do for them. Struggling against homophobia is hard enough. Struggling with it?

That's a nightmare -- take it from a gay guy who's been through it...

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a First Amendment zone, but I do use word verification now. If you don't like that, well, this is also a Fifth Amendment zone. Take your pick...