Monday, January 31, 2011

Man, Where Did The Weekend Go?

I like to keep my life as simple as possible, so as to keep it manageable. And I think I may have overdone it. I've gotten everything in life to fall under one of three categories: being at work, being at home, and being on the bus. You can't make it much simpler than that.

But it can be kind of hard to manage when work, home, and the bus are pretty much the only three places you are. The only other place I went last week was The Village Cafe. This can get on my nerves at times, and then I start saying things like I said on this blog yesterday.

And to top it all off, I was under the weather today. Still went to work and put in eight hours, but that makes for a long shift. At least I'm doing better now.

On the plus side, I do have fourteen vacation days at my disposal. It was fifteen, but I used one on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. I haven't decided how to divide the rest of them up. I'll probably use them two and three at a time -- and later this year, after they're all used up, I'm going to try to get an unpaid fourth week out of the company. I've done this before, and since I'm close to being out of debt, I'll be able to afford it.

Whether management will go for it this time, I don't know. They've gotten noticeably stricter over the last few years. In fact, we now have a "use it or lose it" policy when it comes to vacation time. Before, if you had unused vacation time, it was automatically cashed in and it showed up in your first paycheck of the new year. I used to save a day or two just for that reason. Now I have to use them all before year's end.

After all the hours I put in last year, more time than any other year I've worked there? You're damn right I'll take fifteen vacation days in addition to the six paid ones we already get. The pre-press department never seems to catch a break. Hell, we and the customer service reps are still working for two companies: the one we're at and the one in New Jersey our company acquired last year.

Right now, all I'm personally doing for that company is putting together matchprints and digital proofs. But I hear they want to combine the platemaking abilities of the two print shops, putting their plate settings into our machine and our settings into theirs, presumably so we can FedEx each other sets of plates whenever necessary. We already do a hell of a lot of outsourcing because we simply cannot print all of the orders that we receive -- the sheer volume is too great for us to handle alone, and our pressroom already runs 24/7.

So I don't even want to think about the possibility of burning plates for two print shops -- doing that for one can be tricky enough. Two could become a logistical migraine. You think I've been saying crazy shit lately? Let this come to pass, and see what I say then. I just might put in for all of my vacation days at once.

It isn't getting any easier over there. Not lately, anyway. I would still rather be doing what I am now than running a press -- I worked in the pressroom for ten years, nine of them on nights. But not by much...

1 comment:

  1. You're asking where the weekend went, and I'm sittin' here, scratching my head and wondering where the whole damned month went. What a difference a few years makes, eh, Jim?

    ReplyDelete

This is a First Amendment zone, but I do use word verification now. If you don't like that, well, this is also a Fifth Amendment zone. Take your pick...