Saturday, January 29, 2011

Testing New Ground...

Friday night, there was just me and the woman in our graphic arts part of the pre-press department talking to each other, after everyone else had gone home. She has only worked for the print shop a little over seven months, but in this brief time, she has proven her value to this company several times over. Just believe me when I say that when the company hired her, it spared itself a series of migraines -- I was there to witness the reasons why, and it would bore you to tears if I tried to explain them to you.

Anyway, we were talking last night, and she is rather discontent over how the last seven-odd months have played out. I don't blame her -- she has every right to feel that way. But it turns out this is the first time in her life she's really been doing things all alone. I didn't know that. But I'm a long-suffering veteran when it comes to doing things all alone -- come April, I'll have been doing just that for thirteen years. She's been wondering if coming to Richmond and this print shop has been a good idea.

Now I'm not the best person to ask about the print shop -- I've been there eleven years, and I spend a lot of time thinking about leaving it behind. But I listened to the things she had to say about trying to make it on her own -- and when I say that, I mean waking up alone, going to work without someone telling you to have a good day, coming home to no one, and going to bed alone, which she has been doing since she moved to Richmond. She's doing the best she can, but she's just not accustomed to living like that.

There's a whole lot more to her story than this, and I'm not going to share any more it with you. What I will say is, I advised her to give all of this more time. Eight months is not enough time to make any final decisions in this regard -- I told her that I was down here for more than two years before I started getting my own feet on the ground. You're in a whole new territory when you make a move like she and I made. There are no Cliff Notes for this sort of thing -- you either figure out how to adapt to your new surroundings over time, or you go back to wherever it is you came from.

I figured out how to adapt. I'm hoping she figures it out, too. She just needs more time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a First Amendment zone, but I do use word verification now. If you don't like that, well, this is also a Fifth Amendment zone. Take your pick...