Thursday, January 27, 2011

That Time Of The Week Again...

Left the apartment for work around 9:55 in the morning. Got back home at 10:30 PM. I just don't have much left tonight.

And tomorrow is Friday -- and I'm the only person in America who thinks Friday is the worst day of the week. I used to think Sunday was the worst, back when I was working Sunday through Tuesday, 6:30 PM to 6:30 AM, in the pressroom. Now it's the best day, because I spend much of Saturday catching up on my rest -- this past saturday, for example, I ended up getting out of bed around four in the afternoon. Jesus.

Most of my Fridays nowadays are pretty much shot. I know this because I'm going to wake up in the morning, and the first thing that runs through my mind will be, "My day is shot." See, the pre-press department works the typical five-day workweek, but the pressroom runs 24/7. So on Fridays, I have to carve up digital proofs and burn plates for at least three days' worth of orders instead of one day. That often means I stay late -- sometimes even when I come in early in a vain attempt to avoid staying late. Print shop is a busy print shop, that's all there is to it.

But I put up with this arrangement because 1) unlike when I was in the pressroom, I no longer have to work on weekends, and 2) my Saturdays are for rest and my Sundays are for recreation. The fact that the fun parts come on Sunday is especially satisfying, since I used to start my workweek on Sundays, and those dreadful days are over and done with. It almost feels like that whole period of my life was some kind of test, and I passed it.

For now, though, I'm slowly winding it down and getting ready for bed. Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a First Amendment zone, but I do use word verification now. If you don't like that, well, this is also a Fifth Amendment zone. Take your pick...