Friday, March 25, 2011

...


...

Update (3-26-11): I was at a loss for words when I first posted this, so I just let it stand on its own. For some reason, I really needed to hear it the other day -- and I hadn't posted jack around here lately, so I figured maybe a video clip was in order. I've always liked this song. On one level, this is a song about love; on another, it's about lust (evident toward the end when Bono repeatedly wails, "All I want is, YOU"). We've often been told that love is all that matters and that lust is one of the seven deadly sins. "All I Want Is You," however, highlights something that no one ever tells us, at least not explicitly: there's no fine line between love and lust, just this small but overwhelming twilight region wherein you can't really tell where one begins and the other ends. The strings in this song capture just enough of that twilight to make it work.

As for the video interpretation of it, I can't be sure of what the director had in mind. Most likely, toward the end of it, she had become dead to him -- that could explain why he threw the ring into the grave while the casket was still being covered with dirt. But I got the strange impression that the man with the ring was attending his own funeral, not that of the woman he loved -- or, perhaps, lusted after (or both). In a sense, he probably was. He knew he could never have what he wanted.

And I guess the best you can do in that situation, like it or not, is bury it, turn around, walk away, and not look back...

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a First Amendment zone, but I do use word verification now. If you don't like that, well, this is also a Fifth Amendment zone. Take your pick...