Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Late Night Randomness...

I think I'm finally developing allergies. Either that, or I caught one bitch of a cold several days ago, and now it's beginning to kick my ass. It's insane -- I've probably sneezed more in the last twenty-four hours than I've sneezed in the previous three years. Usually, when I get sick, it's one form or another of the twenty-four hour variety. I don't know what the hell's going on -- maybe it's me getting older, maybe it's the way the weather around here can't seem to make up its mind this year, maybe it's both. All I know for sure is, my ass is getting kicked.

The usual remedies I apply to this sort of thing -- orange juice, ginger ale, chicken soup, vegetable soup, various fruits -- are keeping me functional. Normally, they overwhelm whatever is ailing me, but not this time. I'm simply not up to par. I'm good enough to go to work in the morning and get through the day.

I remember when I first moved down here, talking to the woman from the leasing office of the apartment complex I'd settled upon as a start-up. Turned out she was from Massachusetts like me. She'd been in central Virginia for a long time, and she told me that if I didn't have respiratory problems now, I would in ten years. Well, I didn't have respiratory problems at the time -- hell, I was only 28. But whatever I've got now, I can't help wondering if she knew exactly what she was talking about. Whatever this is, it sucks...

* * *

I put in for a week's paid vacation July 11-15 a little while back. Today, it was approved. And I will be spending the bulk of it in New England. It's been more than four years since I've seen anyone in my family. That's just plain too long. Of course, if I get irritated enough, it could be another four years before the next visit, but still, I've been away too long. There's no excuse for it.

And in recent months, I've been questioning some of my own beliefs. One belief, which I've said several times, is that moving to Virginia was one of the best decisions I've ever made. In some ways, yes, it was. For example, I got a real education coming down here on my own and trying to make ends meet with pretty much no safety net to speak of. I'm going on thirteen years of this, and the verdict is clear: I damn sure know how to go it alone if I have to. And for a second example, I did it through full-time factory work all along. That's another education all by itself, really. I've started telling younger people, hey, if you just want to party and get laid all the time, by all means, enroll in college; but if you want an education which you know for a fact you'll actually be able to put to good use down the line, go work in a factory for a few years. My continuing education in factories is now in its sixteenth year. And it's definitely not getting easier. But Good Lord, the things I'm still learning...

* * *

Then there's the music. I think my muse has given up on me. My personal opinion: fair enough. I can continue on without her. It's just that when I get home from work these days, nothing makes me want to work on music -- I just want to drink some beer and then go to bed. It's bullshit, but it's also the truth. I suppose I could lie to myself, if I thought it would make me feel better -- a lot of people like that line-of-least-resistance nonsense.

Well, I don't. My music has stagnated, I'm stuck in a rut at work, I'm trying and failing to get off the beer, and I'm not happy with the way my life is going right now. I'm not going to lie about it. If I want a chance to break out of this bullshit, I have to at least be honest about it. That's all there is to it...

* * *

I've been on this Hawkwind kick lately. This isn't Hawkwind, but Motorhead featuring Hawkwind alumnus Lemmy doing "Lost Johnny"...


Personally, I prefer the Hawkwind version. But I can't seem to find it on YooToob.

Speaking of Hawkwind, I saw a BBC documentary of that band over the weekend. Man, those guys were beyond trippy back in the 70s. Me, I was primarily into Hawkwind because of Nik Turner -- his style just resonated with my tastes the best. But Lemmy was a piece of work in those days, too. I don't quite get into his style -- he's too loud, too fast, too intense, too often for my tastes. But he's still good. Damn, he's still good...

* * *

Lastly... Fuck Charlie Sheen.

I just thought I'd say that. I don't need to know anything more about him.

Til further on...

2 comments:

  1. On the music muse front, go search out new music in different genres and find music you respond to. That response will often be musical. Tonight I got the urge to play with my guitars after watching a video by Jean Ritchie, of all people, singing about coal miners. (Google her if you don't know who I'm talking about).

    Sounds like you're coming down with the flu or just a bad cold. I've had allergies since I was a tiny tot and what you're describing isn't anything allergy-related. Not much to be done about it except seek help if you have chest congestion, it could be a case of pneumonia, which can kill you...

    Finally about that life thing, I'm a fair bit older than you and still haven't figured it out. So don't feel bad that you haven't either.

    -BT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with BT. If you start any congestion at all, or even a fever,get some medical help pleeeez!! You can't fool around with the flu, or pneumonia. I know from many experiences with both of them!! M.

    ReplyDelete

This is a First Amendment zone, but I do use word verification now. If you don't like that, well, this is also a Fifth Amendment zone. Take your pick...