Saturday, April 23, 2011

That Is Truly Spooky...

I've been on this Hawkwind kick lately. I don't know why, but I'm glad I'm on it, because I'm finding some songs of theirs that are blowing my mind right now. Case in Point: "Hassan I Sahba." It came out in 1977. Hassan I Sabha was the founder of a group known as the Hashashin in eleventh century Persia -- or, as they are sometimes referred to, the Order of Assassins. They are often credited as being the father of all terrorist outfits. The song came on the heels of the Red Army Brigade (aka the Baader-Meinhof) atrocities in the mid-70s, and then-Hawkwind frontman Bob Calvert just happened to be sympathetic to this sort of lunacy. If that were all, I would just dismiss Calvert as being a Far Left head case who belonged in a rubber room, and move on without giving him a second thought.

But a large portion of the lyrics to "Hassan I Sabha" is devoted to both the West's addiction to oil and the Islamic true believer's conviction that infidels deserve to die -- and, should the true believer become a martyr, that he will be rewarded with "a thousand and one nights in the perfumed gardens of delight."

Oh, and the words "Black September" are repeated several times in this song as well. 9-11, anyone? War for cheap oil? Death to infidels? All the virgins you want beyond this mortal coil? I was listening to this song for the first time earlier tonight, and the similarities between what Calvert was singing back in '77 and what has happened since are quite disturbing to me...




That's fucked up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a First Amendment zone, but I do use word verification now. If you don't like that, well, this is also a Fifth Amendment zone. Take your pick...