Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Okay, Back To The Medley...

Nothing really new going on around here. I did get a membership subscription to the game site Pogo, but that's all. Forty bucks for one year, but I'm definitely getting my money's worth -- some of their members-only games are addictive. Pogo also has online versions of a number of the games I loved playing when I was kid -- Boggle, Monopoly, Scrabble, and Risk, to name some. Hell, I forgot all about Risk until I found it at Pogo. Back when I had roommates, we'd call up a few friends on a Sunday and we'd play that game all afternoon.

So that's how I've spent some of my evenings after I get home from work but before I go to bed. My work hours are odd, running around 10:30AM to 7:30PM, and there really isn't much else to do in my neighborhood by the time I get home. At some point later this year, I'll be moving. But for now, this is how it goes...

* * *

Speaking of work, I have no idea what I'm going to walk into tomorrow morning, but there's a chance it won't be good. Before I went home for the night, I did some routine maintenance on the plate processor -- changing a filter, draining the plate developer, cleaning that part of the machine out, and putting fresh developer in. I've done this a dozen times or more, and nothing went wrong. But tonight, there was a leak in the system -- and by the time I found it, I'd lost probably fifteen liters of fresh chemicals.

At least, I think I found it. It wasn't completely plugged up by the time I left, but it was close. The loss rate was approximately one drip every twenty seconds, then every twenty-five seconds, nothing serious -- the problem seemed to be resolving itself. I put everything back together, talked to my department head over the phone just so he'd have a heads-up in the morning, and at the time, I thought we'd be all right, since I intended to give the matter a second look when I punched back in.

But when I got home, I thought of something else, and I was like, "Oh, shit." You see, I don't have my own transportation, so I couldn't just turn around and go back to work -- a problem that will be fully addressed when I move later this year. I forgot to do one thing in the routine maintenance process, which may or may not come back to bite me in the ass. I don't know yet. I'll know it if someone walks in and finds developer all over the floor, though.

Basically, it all comes down to one O-ring that has a habit of slipping out of place. If that O-ring isn't where it's supposed to be right now, I'm very likely fucked...

* * *

Forget everything I just said. I called the print shop up, got the shipping guy, and had him check the plate room. Everything is fine. No leaks, no problems.

That is a major relief, believe me.

I'm still double-checking everything tomorrow, but damn, that was scary for a moment...

* * *

We need a video clip. Here's XTC, one of my all-time favorites, doing "Playground":


Enjoy...

* * *

I'm spent. You can probably see why. Til further on...

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a First Amendment zone, but I do use word verification now. If you don't like that, well, this is also a Fifth Amendment zone. Take your pick...