Sunday, August 7, 2011

Going On Thirty Days...

Since my last beer. Now that I have that big problem under control, I have two little ones to deal with: caffeine and sugar. I've managed to regain eighteen pounds since I quit drinking -- no mean feat in the middle of a brutally hot and humid summer. But I'm still just under 200 pounds, and as long as I can keep it under 200, I'll be satisfied. It's just that I had been drinking so much for a while there, it was killing my appetite -- I would go an entire day or two without eating a morsel of solid food, but come the evening, I'd dive right back into the beer. A week or so after laying off the alcohol, I started eating like a pig. I've been going through Diet Dr. Pepper like it was water, but I think I've also eaten more ice cream and chocolate in the last month than I'd eaten in a year or more -- that would explain the rapid weight gain, even though I haven't slowed down any. So I need to work on those two areas.

Then there's the issue of sleep. I'm getting anywhere from three to six hours a night/early morning, and it comes in strings of short, broken segments. That's better than I was doing a month ago -- I was going three or four days in a row with no sleep, with or without the beer. It's not so much the lack of sleep that bothers me now, it's the difficulty I'm having in dragging my ass out of bed in the morning. Often, I can't get to sleep before 3 AM, and I'm supposed to be up and out of bed around 9, so naturally, that hour has to be the hardest one for me to stay awake in. Lots of recovering alcoholics go through insomnia to one degree or another. That's mine.

I seem to have lost all interest in making music, for now. As for the drawing, that lasted about three days. You take things one day at a time and hope for the best. There's not much else you can do.

That, and I don't know why I still bother reading political blogs -- or why I still maintain one (if you want to call this a political blog). I do spend more time reading books than I used to. And I've been spending way too much time at Pogo, especially after getting home from work. I could definitely be putting my free time to better use.

But at least I'm not drinking...

2 comments:

  1. Good for you on the 30 days!!! That makes me very happy! The rest will all even out in time, I'm sure of it. M. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep on keepin' on, Jim. Recovery is an ongoing process that requires time, patience and commitment; the longer you stay with it, the easier it gets. But, hey, congrats on 30 days (from a guy who's coming up on 30 years).

    ReplyDelete

This is a First Amendment zone, but I do use word verification now. If you don't like that, well, this is also a Fifth Amendment zone. Take your pick...