Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Irene Was Bad, But Isabel Was Worse...

The electricity for my apartment complex came back on around 3:30 PM Tuesday. So that was three days without power for me. Didn't miss any time at work -- the print shop regained power Sunday morning. Irene caused the same kind of patchwork damage Isabel did eight years ago. You go down some streets in Richmond, the houses on one side have power, the ones on the other side don't. And there's lots of that.

I haven't seen as many downed telephone lines or trees as I did after Isabel. Although I did see one oak tree that fell on two houses on my way to work Monday. I also saw something alarming at the intersection of Westwood and Broad: a working traffic light that was facing the wrong way. There were semi-trailers and other vehicles turning left onto Broad from Westwood when they should have been stopped at a red light because that red light was facing Broad Street instead of Westwood -- they were going left on the regular green lights they could see, right into oncoming traffic. I called 911 and explained it to the person on the other end just to be safe -- hopefully, I figured, that could prevent a future 911 call or two, in case no one else had called in what I had. As far as I know, though, there were no accidents at that intersection. And as of Monday evening, that light was facing Westwood again. One less thing to worry about.

Still, three days with no power can be a pain in the neck. I'd rather not go through this again anythime soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a First Amendment zone, but I do use word verification now. If you don't like that, well, this is also a Fifth Amendment zone. Take your pick...