Monday, September 5, 2011

You Know What?

I have everything but one good excuse to go right ahead and do this. And I don't know why I'm even considering it -- at this point, I'm more interested in leaving the print shop once and for all. But I'm considering it.

I've been a union member. I've seen the pros and cons of what it means to be part of a union. Personally, if I could just get up and walk away from that print shop once and for all, I'd do it. But I can't. Even though I told myself over and over again that I didn't want to still be running a press when I was in my forties, and now I'm gonna be doing just that.

So, I've been thinking, why not consider forming a union? I'm within my rights. If this is to be my lot in life, then I fail to see why I can't have a tangible influence on how it plays out -- and if I am not to have a tangible influence, then I don't see why I should continue with the printing business. It's not like I'm fixing to drive my employer out of business -- I want him to prosper, because that means I can prosper, too.

That's the whole point of forming a union. If employers had sense enough to see this for themselves, there wouldn't be any unions...


No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a First Amendment zone, but I do use word verification now. If you don't like that, well, this is also a Fifth Amendment zone. Take your pick...