Thursday, May 15, 2014

David Ortiz...

For the record, I grew up watching the Boston Red Sox as a kid, and later listening to Joe Castiglione calling the games. That last part was in the early and mid 90s. Later on, I wound up in Virginia, and kind of drifted away from Major League Baseball -- the Braves had a minor league team in Richmond, and that became my team for a while.

In 2012, I wound up back in New England. What with baseball being the only Big Four sport I truly enjoy (the Other Three, this being America, being basketball, football, and hockey), I couldn't help going back to the Red Sox -- and it was a real joy to find that Castiglione was still calling the games on the radio, too. I can't imagine him not doing this anymore; therefore, I'm gonna hate it when he finally retires.

Anyway, the Sox are currently one game over .500 -- they're not quite the team that won the Series last year, at least not yet. But the way David Ortiz has been hitting these last two games... four homers in two games, something like 7 for 9 overall, similar to the way he hit in the Series... and he's about to turn 39...

Look, I'm lovin' this. Maybe he's just getting back at the Twins for cutting him years ago (ballplayers tend to have really long memories), and maybe Twins manager Ron Gardenhire is an imbecile for not ordering his pitchers to intentionally walk him (ask Cardinals manager Mike Metheney how pitching to Ortiz worked out last year). But, given the not-so-distant past of MLB and the congressional hearings and all, I have one thing to say...

If David Ortiz tests positive for PEDs, I will so have a friggin' cow. It's happened to him before, and though it's not impossible for him to hit the way he's been hitting at his age naturally, it is quite rare throughout the game's history. I absolutely hope I'm wrong about this -- everyone 'round these parts who gives a damn about baseball loves Big Papi, believe me.

But I wonder at times. I don't blog much about politics anymore, but I have memories as long as those of many a ballplayer, and their collective mentality isn't much different from that of political junkies. After a while, in both cases, you develop this Popeye-like sense that people are who they are, and that's all that they are. There's just this small but substantial part of you that hopes you're wrong.

That might partly explain why I'm still registered as a Democrat. By temperament, I ought to be conservative -- I usually expect the worst, and frankly, I'm not often disappointed. But I still go against my expectations anyway, hoping for the best.

Typical Red Sox fan...

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a First Amendment zone, but I do use word verification now. If you don't like that, well, this is also a Fifth Amendment zone. Take your pick...