Thursday, June 5, 2014

Don Zimmer...

I'm pretty upset. Yeah, Zimmer was 83, so it's not like he was cut off in his prime. But deep down, I did like the man. Hell, his baseball career and his friendships stretched from Jackie Robinson to Derek Jeter -- how many other ballplayers can make that claim?

And as for that AL pennant game in 2003? I went more than a little sour on Pedro Martinez after he threw Zimmer to the ground. In fact, a part of me was glad Pedro signed with the Mets after 2004. I never understood why Zimmer tearfully apologized for his actions in that game. If I'd nearly been killed by a beanball in my own playing days and lived to tell my tale, I would have gone after Martinez too.

Take care, Zim. Take care...

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a First Amendment zone, but I do use word verification now. If you don't like that, well, this is also a Fifth Amendment zone. Take your pick...