Thursday, July 10, 2014

Well, That Didn't Take Long...

The Boston Red Sox went and designated catcher A. J. Pierzynski for assignment. That, basically, is baseball's nice way of saying GTFO. I can't say he didn't have it coming -- when two of the Red Sox's five starting pitchers say they want backup catcher David Ross behind the plate instead of you when they're on the bump, you're in hot water. But when those two starters happen to be the strongest (Jon Lester) and the weakest (Jake Peavy) as well... damn, how often does that happen in the majors?

It's kind of a shame, because Pierzynski did have a few golden moments playing for Boston, including a grand slam. I knew he had a reputation for being a dickhead long before coming to Fenway, in addition to being a hot-or-cold type of hitter throughout his career, but man, those few times he was hot, he was my dickhead. I hate chip-on-the-shoulder types when they're politicians; when they're Red Sox players, I'll give 'em trainloads of chances, even when they suck.

That's why I'm a little bummed A. J. is outta Boston. Yes, he was an ill fit for that team from the word go, and that's what I keep hearing.

You know what? So was Tom Yawkey. And deep down, every single member of the Red Sox Nation worth their salt-and-vinegar knows goddamned well which of those two dickheads has done more damage to this team...

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a First Amendment zone, but I do use word verification now. If you don't like that, well, this is also a Fifth Amendment zone. Take your pick...