Thursday, August 14, 2014

Robin Williams...

Maybe I shouldn't have been stunned by the news that he'd taken his own life. He'd dealt with depression and alcohol abuse, I've dealt with depression and alcohol abuse -- anyone who's been there knows or senses that they're in or at least approaching death wish territory, whether or not they care to admit it. But I was stunned. Robin Williams was -- no, make that is -- one of only two comedians (the other being Gabriel Iglesias) who, no matter how foul and dark a mood I'm in, can break through the black ice and make me laugh hard enough to piss myself.

And now he's gone.

But there seems to be a silver lining to this dark cloud: CNN, for example, has an article on folks coming out and discussing the nature of depression in the wake of Williams' suicide. Apparently it comes as a shock to anyone who isn't a self-absorbed troglodyte like Rush Limbaugh. There's hope for humankind yet, I'm sure of it.

Take care, Robin...

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a First Amendment zone, but I do use word verification now. If you don't like that, well, this is also a Fifth Amendment zone. Take your pick...